After making the decision to detox from nicotine, you may have several questions about how long the process takes and what to expect. Those questions are normal, and it’s wise to do your research about what happens. Here is a timeline of what you need to know if you decide to do a nicotine detox.
How Long is a Nicotine Detox?
The simple answer is that it can take days or weeks. It depends on your goals and what you are hoping to accomplish with the nicotine detox. So, how long does it take to detox from nicotine if it’s temporary and isn’t long term? A short nicotine detox may only take a few hours.
There are several reasons you may want to detox from nicotine for only a brief period of time. You may need to complete a test or just need a simple reset. The timeline for each person varies, and because everyone is different there is no exact amount of time. There are several variants that come into play, including:
- Your age and gender
- Your overall health. Underlying health conditions or medications you take may play a part in how long it does take to detox from nicotine.
- The frequency of prior nicotine intake. If nicotine was taken into the body frequently, it would take longer for it to be flushed out of the system.
- The food you eat and how much you exercise (unhealthy eating habits or inactivity may prolong how long the nicotine detox is).
Nicotine is out of the body fairly quickly during a detox. This is why cravings for nicotine return not long after it is ingested. It can be out of the system within hours, and for the average person it takes 1-3 days.
Do supplements and natural ingredients expedite the nicotine detoxification process? The answer is yes, absolutely. If you are ever wondering how long does it take to detox from nicotine with natural ingredient supplements, try NicoClean. NicoClean Detox is specifically designed to cleanse it from your body rapidly.
However, a nicotine cleanse may not always be over within a few days. It can turn into a lifestyle – depending on what your reasons are for the nicotine detox. If your desire is to cleanse yourself from nicotine and its byproducts from your system indefinitely, it can take time. Because nicotine turns into cotinine (a metabolized form of nicotine) and there are other byproducts (such as tar buildup in the body for smokers) it changes how long the nicotine detox is. With that information in mind, how long does it take to detox from nicotine after it metabolizes to cotinine? Well, cotinine takes longer to flush out of the system. It can take from 7 days up to three weeks.
The ways to detox long term include abstinence from nicotine, exercise, healthy eating and avoiding drug or alcohol intake.
What Happens in the Body During a Nicotine Detox?
There are several things happening in the body during a nicotine detox.
During the first 4 to 11 hours of detoxing, you will likely experience multiple cravings. You may ask yourself again how long does it take to detox from nicotine, because you feel anxious, have headaches, and are not able to sleep. This may continue for a little while longer, but after 2 days the worst will be over.
If you decide to detox long term, 3-4 days into the detoxification process you might be coughing with a sore throat ,as the body cleanses itself of the nicotine effects. Throughout the rest of the first month you might still be having cravings, which is perfectly normal.
What to Do If You are Struggling With Withdrawals During Detoxification
How long your nicotine detox is depends on you and what you are trying to accomplish. Regardless of the reasons, you will likely experience withdrawals. How long it actually does take to detox from nicotine may seem longer now, because withdrawals are often unpleasant and difficult to deal with. If they do prove to be challenging for you, try these coping tools:
- Distraction. Although it may be hard, don’t dwell on how uncomfortable you feel. Do something distracting that brings you joy, or find a new hobby such as reading, knitting, cooking, etc.
- Have a support system. If you’re going to detox from nicotine long term, it’s incredibly helpful to have support. This will help motivate you and pick you up when you’re down.
- Try talking to someone or going to therapy about how long it does take to detox from nicotine. If talking works as a coping mechanism for you, it can be a powerful tool. Especially if you’re talking to a trained professional.
- Remember your “why” for detoxing in the first place. Remind yourself why it’s worth it to you.
- Avoid triggers or reminders of the nicotine. Stay away from places or substances that bring back memories of it, or that trigger a craving. Try to make an adjustment to your routine, so your body has less reminders.
People in the past have made it through withdrawals successfully, and you can do the same. The benefits of a nicotine detox and even how long it is will prove to be worth it in the end.
When thinking about how long it does take to detox from nicotine, remember that each person and situation is unique. This will affect how long it takes your body to detox. Luckily however, when you need to cleanse quickly, a NicoClean detox will help flush it out of your system right away.
Contact us for any questions.